Prev: Re: [GZG] House rules, was Monster ships Next: Re: [GZG] [CON] GZG East Coast Convention - Feb 26-28

Re: [GZG] House rules, was Monster ships

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 01:11:32 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] House rules, was Monster ships

Eric Foley wrote :

>Hm.  I suppose when I really think about this, you're right.  MT
>missiles really are kind of overpowered as compared to salvos if you
>only let them get hit on a 6.	The trouble is, are salvos not just
>completely better (at least on damage) if you have heavy missiles
>get hit the same as individual missiles in a salvo? Sure, they might
>be _smarter_ but if they never get through against even barely
>adequate point defense, what's the point?  (And by my custom-brew
>standardss that's loosely defined as, "you can have at least an
>outside chance of surviving an unassisted strike of about 30
>fighters in a 5000 NPV game, although maybe not so much if they've
>got torpedo bombers".)

If you use the FB PD rules, ie. treat each HM as a separate salvo
with no PD overkills carrying over from one salvo to the next, then
one SMR is somewhat better damage-wise than 2 MTMs (ie., equal Mass)
against all but the lightest defences, ranging from 10% better
against 2 PDSs (per SM salvo/pair of MTMs, that is) up to around 25%
better against 6 PDSs (but at that point even the SM salvo only
averages just over 2 pts of damage anyway). Against that the MTMs get
to pick their target, so you don't have to worry about them dumping
all their damage into a small escort instead of the dreadnought :-/

If OTOH you *do* allow PD overkills to carry over between missile
salvoes, then the MT missiles are completely outclassed - doing that
increases PDS kills on MTMs far, *far* more than it increases PDS
kills on SMs or fighters. The exact increases depend on the PD
levels, but generally speaking the PDSs' kill increase from overkills
in % vs MTMs is around 5 times what it is vs SMs. (That is to say,
where the re-allocated overkills increase the PDS kill rate vs SMs by
20%, it'd increase the kill rate vs MTMs by approx. 5x20 = 100% - ie.
it doubles.)

Later,

Oerjan

Prev: Re: [GZG] House rules, was Monster ships Next: Re: [GZG] [CON] GZG East Coast Convention - Feb 26-28