Prev: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance Next: Re: [GZG] Monster ships

Re: [GZG] Monster ships

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 23:52:04 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Monster ships

Charles Lee wrote:

>How much is a reasonable price fer a one shot
>fiter (AKA MT Missle as in FT / MT)? And the
>Salvoi missles have a potional of 6 Die 6 in direct impact.

You're asking about two rather different systems here.

As a one-shot fighter, you're basically comparing
it to a slower, shorter-ranged Torpedo fighter
with a heavier warhead - killed by PDS on a 4+,
but with a *much* better manoeuvrability than an
MTM as described in MT. Throw in the ability to
pick its target and let it keep the 2D6 warhead,
and it ends up being worth about half as much as
an SM salvo using the FB1 rules. Which is a good
thing, since that allows us to keep the current
Mass (2 for the MTM, 4 for the SMR) :-/

The MT missile *as described in MT* OTOH, ie.
only hit by rolls of '6' but very poor
manoeuvrability, varies enormously in value
depending on the movement system and table size
used. It is awesome in Vector where its targets
usually can't generate enough of a side vector to
get out of its 60° tracking cone, and nearly as
good on cramped tables where a Cinematic target
don't have enough room to dodge it. Like I wrote
earlier though, on a larger table in Cinematic
even thrust-4 ships can outfly it fairly easily;
and under those circumstances it suddenly turns
from a ship-killer into an area-denial weapon
whose main use is to make your opponents fly
where you want him to (usually somewhere where
you can use your direct-fire weapons to destroy him)...

Regards,

Oerjan

Prev: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance Next: Re: [GZG] Monster ships