Prev: Re: [GZG] Monster ships Next: Re: [GZG] Monster ships

Re: [GZG] Monster ships

From: John Tailby <john_tailby@x...>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 15:06:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Monster ships

Im't not really sure what you mean by your first point. All fleets need
a doctrine against missile defence and our gaming group has had several
people that have made fleets based around the MT capitol missiles (like
the islamic fleets only moreso inspired by Honour Harrington type
universes).

If a fleet is primarily missile armed it will run out of ammo and need
to get resupplied in ways that a beam, PT or K-gun fleet won't.

If facing a missile armed fleet, i'ts much more cost effective to have a
cloud of mass 3 missile attracter scout drones in close proximity to
your capital ships to protect them from missile strike than it is to use
destroyers... They still die after absorbing the same number of missile
strikes and you get a lot more scout drones than you do destroyers.

Destroyers get used in our campaigns a lot like light cavalry. They are
best for raiding the enemy backfield and engaging in supply route
interdiction. They are also good for securing lines of supply to ensure
that the enemy doesn't simply try to interdict with drones and frigates.