Prev: Re: [GZG] Fiction - Month in Marin Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] 'nefs Re: Monster ships

Re: [GZG] Monster ships

From: Eric Foley <stiltman@t...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 20:37:34 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Monster ships

Well, a lot of this comes down to what kind of game you want to play.  I
generally like to play custom games (and have been doing so long enough
that fleet book ships just feel worse and worse to me when I have to go
back), but I also like being able to play on a living room floor.  I
mean, if I really wanted to I could go twist the IJN rules around like a
balloon animal and make sure that my dreadplanet is covering the entire
play board in three meter diameter wavefronts from a class 97
hyperspatial distortion cannon fired from the next house down every
other turn for about 40 turns before it even shows up at my end of the
board... but I'm not convinced that's a game I still want to play.
There does come a point _somewhere_ where I think the general weapon
types in the game ought to stay at least somewhat close to what's
provided in range and firepower.  The game plays better that way.
Sprinkle in PSB for why nobody does it as necessary.  (Active scanning
range is only 36
 MU in most versions, so it could be as simple as, "if you can't scan
it, you can't fire control accurately on it either.")

On the other hand, I don't mind making a bit more use of class 4 beams
or class 3 grasers as the ships get bigger at all.  There's a lot of
different game that can be played rather creatively, and still have a
decent story behind it, if one digs for it.

As for me, I just went and decided that K-guns can have their chances to
do double damage reduced by 1 for each layer of armor there is on the
target ship, rather like how old Kra'Vak armor used to work.  Somewhere
between that and Cross Dimensions' advanced screens, that end of the
design universe is pretty well filled in for my tastes.