Prev: Re: [GZG] Monster ships Next: Re: [GZG] Monster ships

Re: [GZG] Monster ships

From: John Tailby <john_tailby@x...>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 23:12:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Monster ships

NAC ship designs were a reflection of political/corporate purchasing. By
including a system from as many different corporations and political
territories as possible you make it attractive to vote for the
procurement.

The ESU ships all look like they come out of the same industrial complex
and have very standardised components.

The NSL ships look like they are hamstrung by lack of decent engines so
make up for the lack of engines with wider weapon arcs and more weapons
to compensate.

But the calibre of weapons doesn't produce anything like the performance
variation of naval weapons. A 16" naval weapon has much longer range
and hits much harder than an 8" weapon. In FT terms the weapons would
have  range and damage proportional to their size class and a rate of
fire inversly proportional to their size.

That would make battleships able to track and kill their opposite
numbers but could make them vulnerable to being swarmed by multiple
smaqller ships with rapid fire close range weapons.