Prev: Re: [GZG] Orders Writing and Thresholds, and Game Plans.... Next: Re: [GZG] Orders Writing and Thresholds, and Game Plans....

Re: [GZG] Orders Writing and Thresholds, and Game Plans....

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 15:15:18 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Orders Writing and Thresholds, and Game Plans....

Celesticon
> we had four of us, two of us were vets and the other two were new,
each side
> had roughly 4000 NPV of fleet book ships, all the procedures exactly
by the
> book, and it took over twice that long.  I can think of three main
reasons
> for the difference:  1.  Fleet book ships are way less lethal than
custom
> designs.  (e.g. my favorite epic fail moment at the convention was
firing
> off at point blank range, nose-on firing arcs with an undamaged NSL
fighter
> carrier and managing to fail to kill an FSE frigate that I only had to
do
> six points
>  of damage to.  I don't think any non-carrier capital ship in my
custom
> games would ever manage to fail to kill something that small at that
range
> no matter how bad the roll was.)  ...]

Fleetbook designs, as was stated by Jon when they first came out, are
not
nor were they ever meant to be, the most efficient designs. They were
made
with inherent flaws. Consider these flaws to reflect the pre-gaming
design
and construction of said ships while different contractors bid and
underbid
on building said ships. They were designed purposefully to not min-max
capabilities.

So, no, they are not efficient ship-killers in and of themselves. But
that
makes for a different and interesting tactical situation all by itself.
:-)
Of course, I don't think most of us play games anywhere approaching the
size
of yours, Eric.  ;-)

Mk