Prev: Re: [GZG] Orders Writing and Thresholds, and Game Plans.... Next: Re: [GZG] Orders Writing and Thresholds, and Game Plans....

Re: [GZG] Orders Writing and Thresholds, and Game Plans....

From: Damond Walker <damosan@g...>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:35:17 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Orders Writing and Thresholds, and Game Plans....

Has anyone ever tinkered with moving the FMA/SG2/DS3 method of
hit/damage allocation to FT?

FT is a game that's modeled after an age-old method of accruing damage
throughout the game with performance falling as damage increases.  It
isn't a linear relationship like the very old systems acknowledging
that if a ship gets totally hammered in a single turn it will likely
suffer more threshold damage than if the ship gets plinked to death
over a number of turns.  That's my perception at least based on
threshold modifiers.  My perception may be off or my die rolls
horrible or it may be a combination of the two.  :)

It's a good model for early to mid 20th century fights but if anything
the few modern naval battles show this model doesn't really apply
anymore for the most part.  Even then the model generally misses out
on those rare occasions where a single aircraft takes out a battleship
with a single bomb.

Would it be possible to move FT over to the QD + FP1 ... + FPn vs. a
QD + situation die?  Beating the high defender die would result in
damage to the target which would provide negative shifts to firepower.
 As ship classes get larger the target vessel would have more damage
boxes with couriers having a single damage box, frigates 2, destroyers
3, CL 4, etc....

It feels like, with average crews, couriers and other light ships
would just go POP.  Destroyers will take a single solid hit and be
junk.

The FMA/SG2/DS3 dice mechanics are liable to extremes and lots of
rolling low/high combos so that would increase ship survivability.