Prev: Re: [GZG] mystery rules? Next: Re: [GZG] GW bashing

Re: [GZG] Giving thanks...

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:34:03 +1100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Giving thanks...

wrote:
> I sometimes feel this forum is full of GW bashers looking for an
> opportunity to go off.
Probably because a lot of us got started with GW games and have strong
nostalgia for "the way things used to be". When I got into 40K you
randomly rolled the weapons that your squad had. It was interesting,
silly and a lot of fun. For me it lost the "fun factor" a long time ago.

> GW are "good but expensive", compared to who? last time I looked GW
> prices were comparable with wargames foundry and other high end
> manufacturers. They are also comparable to other similar games
> manufacturers like Privateer Press.
Reaper, Redbox, and Freebooter for starters produce miniatures as good
for less. GZG does to but then they have a slightly different take on
the Si-Fi angle. ;-)   Yes Australia is expensive but why there is such
a discrepancy between Gw and most other manufacturers that face the same

issue?

> Clubs also attract people by having a committed core of people that
> want to play the game inviting others to play. If you don't have this
> then the period will die off. Seen it happen in my club in both up and

> down cycles.
True but we never say that you can only play the games that are already
there. People are always free, and in the club I go to, always
encouraged to bring something different. By pulling fan produced stuff
off sites like BoardGameGeek, GW is saying that people shouldn't play
anything that doesn't come from them. Yes we always need new members,
the nature of membership changes, but that is something we should
encourage not try and kill off.

> I like rule updates and big shiny army list books. If there were new
> rules for FT 3 and shiny fleet books full of background material,
> pictures of ships, and scenario rules I'd be buying them and be
> inspired to get more into the canon FT universe and the authentic
> models as a result.
Up to a point yes. But expansions not continually rehashing something
that already works. And how long has it been since FT2 came out? GW
seems to rewrite the rules every couple of years, that's probably being
too harsh but certainly it is more frequent than would seem nessicary.

I' m sorry if you feel like people are ganging up on you  John, but I
think I can safely say that many of us have enjoyed GW games and figures

in the past but that the company and it's style no longer appeal to us.

Tony.

Prev: Re: [GZG] mystery rules? Next: Re: [GZG] GW bashing