Prev: Re: [GZG] The worst die roll possible Next: Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry

Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:42:30 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd heard a lot of suggestion that they'd need to stay with something
> in the 40mm range to get a truly effective weapon. I recall 20mm being
> way too small to be effective. Is 25mm big enough? I guess we'll see.
> And we'll see if they've ironed our reliability/robustness issues.

25mm HE works, just ask the Bradley guys.  :)

> I'm also curious to see if the guy lugging the XM-25 ends up lugging
> an M-4 anyway. With 4 rounds per mag and presumably fair weight for
> mags, he won't be carrying that many rounds. And it won't be too
> useful for door kicking and indoor fighting I would imagine so the
> squaddie will still probably need something for that - M-4, Shotgun,
> something.

Yes, he'll have an M-4 also.  Or at least I assume so.	Just like the
M-203 guy does, and the M-240 gunner and so on and so forth.

> It seems like it would be of some use even against modern line troops
> with armour as they have exposed extremities. In the long run, I can
> see defenses against this being thicker ballistic fatigues to limit
> the non-hard-armoured areas that can be hurt by the small
> fragmentation. Paper, scissors, rock - next chapter. Still, you
> probably won't see that on guys in rags with sandals and an AK.

Google DAP.  Extremity protection is at least a couple weight
breakthroughs away from happening for Soldiers that aren't immobile
elements of a vehicle mounted weapon system.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] The worst die roll possible Next: Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry