Prev: Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry Next: Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry

Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 21:09:54 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Real Life catches up to, passes(?), Star Grunt weaponry

Roger B W wrote:

> >It is, though with the calibre borrowed from the OISW (25mm instead
> >of 20mm). (Hm, that's funny - I get zero hits when googling for OISW.
> >Was that program *that* thoroughly killed...? :-S)
>
>I hadn't heard of it before. Hmm, poking about a bit - perhaps OCSW
>(Objective Crew Served Weapon) rather than OISW? That at least has a
>basic Wikipedia page.

Ah yes, that was the proper name... though for some reason it was
called OISW in several discussions I've read as well, by people who
ought to have known better :(

Thanks! (to Stephen as well, of course!).

> >Ouch. I hadn't heard about any fatal accidents - was that at
> >Aberdeen? ... and do you know any more about that?
>
>Aberdeen, yes, and about 2003. I don't have more details; if I can
>relocate my source I'll post it.

Please do... I'm curious if it was a case of "the program management
requires that we do this even though we're not ready for it" or "what
the heck, it has always worked out OK before so we'll risk it this
time too". Having spent a lot of time on our own test range recently,
I know far too well just how treacherous both of these lines of
reasoning can be :(

/Oerjan