Prev: Re: [GZG] Overloading screens Next: Re: [GZG] Overloading screens

Re: [GZG] Overloading screens

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 16:38:17 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Overloading screens

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:13 AM, Hugh Fisher <laranzu@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

> I was careful to say "better represented" rather than "perfectly."
> There's always the tradeoff that the more you tailor FT rules to
> fit one setting, the less they fit any other. I prefer the more
> generic approach myself.

No arguments philosophically.  My point is that my mental map of how
to approach that is to find the rules way to perfectly represent that
universe in Full Thrust rules, then do the minimum modification
necessary to ensure a decent game.

> I didn't see anything in the first book or the short story "Face of
> the Enemy" that suggested only a single system could be damaged at
> a time. If you hit the Langston field hard enough, either with beams
> or missiles, there's a brief burn through. That hits the ship, but
> there's no more control over the effect than with normal weapon fire.
> It might blow out an empty compartment, might hit the bridge. And
> while it helps to concentrate your fire on a particular point, there
> doesn't seem to be any reason why different ships firing at different
> points on the Langston field can't both burn through.

I'm going from memory, but the discussion in Mote seemed to indicate
to me that the lasers were for (relatively) slowly dumping energy into
the enemy's field, but that the nuclear missles would dump a lot of
energy at once and had a much higher chance of burn through.  I could
be in error.

> To me, the existing FT layered armour would work well enough. A big
> ship that concentrates lots of beam fire on the layered armour will
> be more likely to get through and inflict actual hull damage than
> a lot of little ships. Give the ships weak hulls and lots of armour,
> and they'll stand up well until the "field" runs out, then die.

Yup, close enough for government work.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Overloading screens Next: Re: [GZG] Overloading screens