Prev: [GZG] GHQ vs GZG infantry scale? Next: Re: [GZG] Screens versus Advanced Screens in Cross Dimensions?

Re: [GZG] Screens versus Advanced Screens in Cross Dimensions?

From: Eric Foley <stiltman@t...>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 14:35:13 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Screens versus Advanced Screens in Cross Dimensions?

-----Original Message-----
>From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@ozemail.com.au>
>Eric Foley wrote:
>>Well, there's no real solution there.  Either advanced screens
>>render them harmless or the screens themselves are useless against
>>K-1s, near-useless against K-2s, and pretty cost-ineffective against
>>the higher calibers.	If you go with my suggestion, K-1s and K-2s
>>are harmless but it's pretty well balanced against the other stuff.

>OK, I'm convinced now that your way is better. K-guns against
>advanced screens subtract the screen level from the K grade
>before inflicting damage and rolling for double.

Nitpicky thing:  I was figuring that the screen would only reduce the
_initial_ damage, not the extra you get if it "doubles".  I don't know
if we were on the same page there.  So a K-6 would do 4 points of damage
against an advanced screen, have a 50% chance of getting the extra
(instead of 83.333%), and get the full extra 6 points if it doubled, not
just 4.  This would reduce the average net damage of a K-6 from 11
points per hit to 7, which is what I was basing my idea of it being
about right upon.  The K-1 and K-2 would still be harmless unless...

>I would add a special rule: if the grade drops below 1, ie K-1
>against any advanced screen or K-2 against level-2, it still
>inflicts one point of damage if they roll a natural 6 to hit.

Hm.  So a K-1 would basically not be changed at the 24-30 MU range band
at all because this doesn't change from what it normally does, and a
Kra'Vak destroyer that's armed with nothing bigger than a K-2 would then
have every reason to just stay at maximum firing range if it could
because approaching any closer wouldn't do it any good?  That's kind of
a weird set of side effects...

Here's my counter-idea:  if the grade drops below 1, the K-gun rolls its
usual to-hit roll, and if it "hits" it rolls an additional roll similar
to how another K-gun would roll for a double, except that in this case
it's trying to roll to do its _base_ damage.  They would have to roll
their original grade or lower, with a +1 bonus if it's a level 1 screen.
 So against a level 1 screen a K-1 would do its one point of damage on a
1 or 2, and against a level 2 it's just on 1.  A K-2 would get it on 1-3
against a level 1 and 1-2 against a level 2.  Still makes life pretty
pitiful for the puny escorts, but it takes away the weird side effects
where ranges become irrelevant once you're within 30 MU, and makes a
difference between whether it's a level 1 or level 2 advanced screen
against a K-1 as well.

E/Stilt Man

Prev: [GZG] GHQ vs GZG infantry scale? Next: Re: [GZG] Screens versus Advanced Screens in Cross Dimensions?