Prev: Re: [GZG] The Great Premeasuring Monkey Dance Next: Re: [GZG] The Great Premeasuring Monkey Dance

[GZG] Dancing the Pre-Measure Monkey

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 15:40:05 -0400
Subject: [GZG] Dancing the Pre-Measure Monkey

less than 24 hours, and it's been an interesting thread to
read. :-D  Stirred up a few hornets, but nothing terribly painful. That
reflects something about the readership of this list. :-)

I did note two, well three, trends in what people were referring to for
pre-measuring:

1) movement
2) firing

(and since this whole thing was kinda aimed at the FT side of the house,
number 3 would be the references to StarGrunt, FMA, etc - but
surprisingly,
no one piped in for Dirtside!)

WRT movement and FT, since movement is supposed to be all simultaneous,
pre-measuring to make sure you are "just in" or "just out" of an arc or
range band is a little over the top, imo, as you don't know where the
opponent is going to end up.

WRT firing and FT, I think pre-measuring should be acceptable (and what
was meaning in the original post, though I didn't specify :) ). Some
have
mentioned setting up rangeband sticks or "waving the tape measure
around"
set at a certain distance. For the granularity of FT, that seems
perfectly
reasonable. Measuring from and to each and every ship on the board is a
little over the top imo.

So, while I am pro pre-measuring (at least wrt FT and firing), I think
for
the most part there still are boundaries that need to be addressed for
game
play. I suppose each group needs to address this on their own terms (no
pre-measure, pre-measure optiosn by # of firecons, general tape waving,
yardstick rangeband markers, measure each and every possible point and
permutation from/to each and every ship/fighter/planet/meteoroid on the
board, etc).

Anyway, more to read!

Mk

Prev: Re: [GZG] The Great Premeasuring Monkey Dance Next: Re: [GZG] The Great Premeasuring Monkey Dance