Prev: Re: [GZG] Points system Next: Re: [GZG] Points system

Re: [GZG] Opening a can of worms

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 09:01:29 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Opening a can of worms

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3) I don't see why the judgement of distance should be any less valid
as a
> skill than:
> - luck/unluck with dice (present already)

Dice rolling isn't a skill, regardless of what some people like to say
on game boards.

> These sorts of things already all exist in the game....and are also
outside
> the realm of player judgement or tactical choices directly. I'm not
sure why
> an inability to judge distance is seen as somehow a separate class of
> handicap.

So if you have problems with depth perception, let's add _another_
handicap?

> To me, measuring *would* be realistic, but so many other unrealistic
God's
> Eye View facts are available to players, having an uncertainty in
measuring
> only helps (barely) to compensate for that.

I'm not arguing that it's realistic or not. I'm arguing that for some
groups pre-measuring is no big deal. If you don't allow pre-measuring,
that's fine. But why is it there such a bias in miniature rules
against pre-measuring if the group is cool with the slowdown it
causes? There are lots of rules that codify "do not pre-measure" but
there are none, to my knowledge, that say, "you must pre-measure".

It smacks of game designers building their own particular group play
style bias into their rules, and those that allow pre-measuring should
be stamped down as having badwrongfun.

> And your argument about munchkinism is silly - munchkins can manifest
in any
> game in any format.

Which was exactly my point. Not allowing pre-measuring is often touted
as avoiding munchkinism. But you can't wipe out munckinism.

> If you have people that think winning matters and that the game is a
> competition instead of a shared entertainment, you'll tend to get that
> stuff. Maturity level of the gamers is a factor too.

Bingo!

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] Points system Next: Re: [GZG] Points system