Prev: Re: [GZG] Running Full Thrust at a con? Next: Re: [GZG] GZG 8 Wheelers

Re: [GZG] Running Full Thrust at a con?

From: Mike Stanczyk <stanczyk@p...>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 18:33:39 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Running Full Thrust at a con?

On Sat, 2 May 2009, Allan Goodall wrote:

> Welcome!
>
> On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Wilper <wilper@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What version of the rules is the proper one?
>
> The "proper" rules, that is the rules most people follow, are those in
> the Fleet Books. They are in addition to, and in some places a
> replacement of, the rules in the main rulebook. The best option is to
> read through the FT rule book (which it looks like you've done), play
> a game or two of that (which it looks like you've done), then read the
> FB (Fleet Book) rules and adapt the system to those.

Hugh has both the Cross Dimensions and the Remixed here:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~laranzu/fullthrust/rules/

Save yourself a headache and start there.   There's so much old and
confusing
information left in the originals, it's less pain to learn from the
clean
rules.

> I think somewhere on the web is a cheat sheet for th FB rules.
http://groundzerogames.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=110
&Itemid=50

> As for vector versus cinematic, the choice is personal preference,
> though cinematic seems to be a little easier for people to pick up. (I
> say "seems" as there are groups where that isn't the case.)

I always start new players on cinematic.  They get the *whoosh* much
easier.

>> Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on my chosen scenario
and setup?

> I haven't played it, so I'll let others make suggestions.
>
> The introductory games I've seen at conventions are pretty simple.
> Just give everyone a small fleet based around the same points and let
> them go after each other. Line one half of the participants on one
> half of the table, the others on the other half of the table. When a
> ship is destroyed, let the player bring in a replacement as a
> reinforcement a turn later, so no one is eliminated. If you want to
> declare a "winner" have the players keep track of the point values of
> the ships they destroyed.
>
> You end up with a game where everyone dives in blazing away, where
> losing your fleet keeps you in the game. You can mix and match
> factions so that the players get a feel for different weapon systems
> and ship designs. It's a really good way to introduce the game. Later,
> once players know what they are doing, you can introduce scenarios.

For my introductory games here in Denver, I go with the suggested fleet
bash.  Split up the players, give 'em ships and fight!	I keep it simple
with little more than beams and grazers.  No missles or fighters.
Works fairly well.

Mike

Prev: Re: [GZG] Running Full Thrust at a con? Next: Re: [GZG] GZG 8 Wheelers