Prev: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game Next: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game

Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 16:29:05 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game

The first set of SF ground combat rules I ever bought was a little
duplicated booklet called SMASH (which IIRC stood for "Skirmish,
Melee and Surface Happenings!") designed for use with things like the
Airfix astronaut figures and any other small-scale toys you could
find in those days - I think that was around 1972 or 73. I never
played them as written, but they did inspire me to start designing my
own rules to use with the Minifigs 25mm SciFi figures that became
available around that time. The first really "commercially" produced
set I bought was probably FGU's original Space Marines, closely
followed by a copy of the first edition of Starguard.

My first Starship combat ones were Dave Rotor's "Galactic Warfare",
printed by Skytrex  around 1973/4 for use with their very first
resin-cast spaceships - both the minis and the rules were very
simplistic but they caught my interest and led me to write what
eventually became FT!

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game Next: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game