Prev: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 23:18:05 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On the game and game supplement, no way.

This is all an intellectual exercise as there's no way we're going to
get sales data from GDW, Mongoose, Marc Miller's homegrown company,
West End Games, or WotC.

However, I would still argue that even with the 10 year head start, it
would not surprise me in the least to find that the Star Wars
incarnations have sold more copies than Traveller versions.

Yes, Traveller was the big guy for a decade. Traveller was also
available mostly in game stores and mail order. Megatraveller was
around at the time when a lot of comic stores started to sell games. I
know as I was working at a comic store at that time. I only have
anecdotal evidence, but the WEG Star Wars games greatly outsold
anything we had with Traveller on it.

Traveller was also out of distribution (except by mail order on CD)
for a while (essentially since the folding of GDW until last year,
with the exception being the abomination that was T4). I'd have to
research it, but the gap between WEG's 2nd Edition Revised Star Wars
and D20 Star Wars was a bit shorter.

I don't know if it means anything, but Amazon has Mongoose's Traveller
as being available since June 4, 2008. Star Wars Saga Edition has been
available since June 5, 2007. STSE has a sales ranking of 16,938.
Traveller is 304,645. I'd sure like to know how many units the
difference is, but that seems to me like a pretty hard-to-beat number.
WotC's sales numbers, to make a game sustainable, are just in an
entirely different league from other game companies.

> Oh, and as for the Alliance Troops: FCT troops from GZG ought to do in
25mm.
> They aren't perfect, but they'd do.

Cool.

> The not-Blade figure Jon makes (Vampire Hunter with Sword or
something)
> could do fine for an Operative.

That could work.

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....