Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew..... Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:37:31 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

>On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 00:08, Samuel Penn
><<mailto:sam@glendale.org.uk>sam@glendale.org.uk> wrote:
>
>On Friday 24 April 2009 07:40:27 Evyn MacDude wrote:
>>  On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 21:49, Allan Goodall
>><<mailto:agoodall@hyperbear.com>agoodall@hyperbear.com> wrote:
>
>  > > Oh, I think that's debatable. I'd be willing to bet that the
various
>>  > flavours of Star Wars
>>
>>  Damn-it Allen I said Science Fiction, not fantasy..... Star Wars
doesn't
>>  count as SF.....
>
>Ha! Some of us would discount Traveller as Science Fiction :-)
>

>(Psi being the worst of its offences, but not the only)
>

>We can pick it apart, yes we can. It still is a good fit for the SF
>of the Golden age.... And Psi was a major issue of that period.
>
>Back on topic, I've use 25mm figures for Traveller RPGing.
>

>For a long time Jon was the one of the few producers of 25mm SF
figures.

>Funny side note if you use GWs space Marines with 25mm figures they
>are in scale with their fluff.

... And there lies one of the biggest problems with even thinking of
doing more "larger scale" (and here I mean larger than 15mm)  figures
at the moment - what size would we make them? When we started the
25mm ranges many years ago, we went for pretty close to "true 25"
while being compatible with the better SF ranges already out there at
the time - specifically Denizen, Ral Partha (Battletroops) and the
first WEG Star Wars figs, all of which were close to 25mm and
realistically proportioned, so that's the way we asked our sculptors
to go. Then, of course, GW started to go 28mm+ and a caricatured
house style, and most others followed, leaving the true 25s as a
virtually orphaned scale.

So, if we were to do the Trader Crew (or any other figures for that
matter), should we do them in true 25mm to match our SG range, or go
to "slim 28", or even up to the 30-32mm that some sculptors seem to
be doing these days.....?

A lively discussion of this point would be very interesting,
especially if it brings out some sort of consensus in the end!!  ;-)

Jon (GZG)