Prev: Re: [GZG] Mixed Role Fighters Next: Re: [GZG] Mixed Role Fighters

Re: [GZG] Mixed Role Fighters

From: Robert Mayberry <robert.mayberry@g...>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 15:45:17 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Mixed Role Fighters

Most of the fictional settings we are trying to reproduce do in fact
have multi-role fighters. In star wars, during the destruction of the
first Death Star, the X-wings were clearly multi-role. In babylon 5,
you similarly see (usually) starfuries both dogfighting and striking
capital ships as required. BSG's raptors could be argued to be similar
to attack fighters (though IMO multi-role military shuttles should be
something else entirely) but while they are a bit inconsistent about
it, it appears that Vipers have an anti-ship capability.

So, sure, if it fits your setting do whatever as always. But that's
hardly an argument. In any science fiction setting that has fighters,
you see plenty of room for multi-role ships. A system intended to let
us reproduce those should do the same.

What I think people are reaching for with these kinds of rules
permutations are really ways of improving fighter quality. So a
Thunderbolt Starfury really will beat a Raider Delta-V, even though
they are the same role. Instead of mucking around with
multirole-but-not-multirole fighters, just make role one variable and
quality or tech base another.