Prev: Re: [GZG] FMA multiple activations Next: [GZG] Kra'Vak Kitbashs

Re: [GZG] FMA multiple activations

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 15:42:00 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] FMA multiple activations

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> My recollection, and it has been a while:
>
> If you get a small force (squad size, say) with a good leader (D10 or
D12)
> and most of them are motivation 1 or 2, then that leader can often get
many
> of them acting in a round. But the single die roll means numbers 4 or
less
> come up quite often, usually when that is an utter disaster for your
battle
> plan. Contrariwise, the D4 or D6 leader has a lot more predictability
to his
> outcome - it may be a usually crappy one, but it is much less swingy.

That's been the Achilles Heel of the FMA system in a lot of ways.
Good leaders, higher morale, better gear, nothing means a things if
you roll a 1  That's more likely with garbage troops, but even Green
troops only suffer a 1 twice as often at Elite troops do.  It seems to
me that this is backwards--even the greenest trooper has a chance of
an amazing moment, but the point of regularly trained troopers is that
they are reliable--you can count on the leaders to do the tactically
sound thing and the troopers to fight with proficiency and a degree of
elan.  Perhaps Greens should be rolling a d12 and Elites a d6+6.  :)

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] FMA multiple activations Next: [GZG] Kra'Vak Kitbashs