Prev: Re: [GZG] GZG ECC XII Picture hunting Next: Re: [GZG] 15mm figure skirmish basing

Re: [GZG] 15mm figure skirmish basing

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 00:49:51 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] 15mm figure skirmish basing

e good ideas. I never thought of the penny as 2cm across. Hmmm. Dimes
would be small enough, but basing a squad then costs the better part of
$1
and I'm not sure if they'll stick to magstrip.

Small washers might be ideal, but what I really want are small round
metal
cutouts. I don't want the hole because some of the 15mm figs have rather
thin rectangularish bases that would leave an annoying opening to have
putty around.

I saw Carl had some round metal bases at ECC but I never thought to
check
for a small one. Maybe the business card Carl gave me has an email I can
contact him at.

My plan (if I cannot get a magnetic base) is to cut small matching
circles
out of magsheet and glue them to the bottoms, thus making them magnetic.
Then metal strips will make a good carrier.

To do squad or fireteam mounts, I was thinking of using balsa, but using
squarish metal base would be fine too. Mark standard round-base sized
spots
on the thing, paint it, putty it up leaving those spaces cleared, flock
it,
etc. and there you go. If I end up putting mag sheet on my fig bases,
then
they plop nicely onto the 4-8 man group base.

I tried larger fender washers for 25mm and found them hateful. The
pennies
were much better bases. And they fit 25mm deck plans. I guess a 15mm
deck
plan would be in the range of 15-18mm width, so a 20mm penny would be
too
big.

The normal bases won't do because some are thin and long and the figures
will spend all their time lying down.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Time to fire up google and see what I
can
find.

Tom

--
http://ante-aurorum-tenebrae.blogspot.com/
http://www.stargrunt.ca

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine

"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty
quits the horizon." -- Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] GZG ECC XII Picture hunting Next: Re: [GZG] 15mm figure skirmish basing