Prev: Re: [GZG] Are there any West Coast GZG Events in the US? Next: Re: [GZG] Are there any West Coast GZG Events in the US?

Re: [GZG] GZG ECC XII: Sunday Morning AAR

From: Damo <damosan@g...>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 06:48:39 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] GZG ECC XII: Sunday Morning AAR

On Mar 2, 2009, at 2:03 AM, Tom B wrote:

> Bob Makowsky, Greg Davis and I were the Fallschirmjager. I draw a
> blank at 2 am on the names of our opponents, but mean no
> disrespect. I'm just tired and bad with names.

Jerry and Derek ran the US troops.

> Critiques included how easy it was to chuck back grenades
> (including ones not directly at your feet) and how a figure with a
> bunch of stress that can't activate but not enough to autofail to a
> lower morale status can languish for the entire game doing nothing.

If using the 2004 draft of FMAS, as written, troops who fail their
activation test go to shaken....and if they fail another they haul it
-- much too quickly for trained troopers IMHO.	So I decided to play
with that mechanic a little to model suppression and the impact of
taking massive amounts of fire.  The German LMG gunner was taking
massive amounts of fire.

If I was to run the scenario again I would allow a SOLDIER the
ability to fire once, at reduced FP, if they fail their activation
test.  A BETTER idea, IMHO, would be to use the standard SG2 morale
progression: confident, steady, shaken, etc...with the activation
check.	It would require more tokens on the table but that's okay.

As far as grenades go I figured a straight Nerve check would be good
enough.  When fighting against Nerve 1 troops you only want to throw
grenades once they've activated which is a bit gamey.  Beating
2*Nerve would probably work out better over the course of the game.

I know young Mr. Davis would have preferred that.  :)

Vet/1 troops would still be able to throw it back 75% of the time but
I figure they have the battlefield presence required.  The more
common Vet/2 will do so 50% of the time.

With the above tweaks I may run the scenario against a local in the
near future to see how it plays out.  Perhaps Historicon.

> Thanks to Damo and Jer for a good game (as usual), nice terrain and
> figures, and a fun end to my convention.

Thanks for playing and taking it like a man.  :)

> And a BIG THANKS to Jon Davis, Mark Kochte, Jerry Han and anyone
> else doing organizing and helping out. ECC would not exist without
> these noble souls and that would be a big loss.

Yes a big thanks to Jon, Mark, and Jerry H.!  ECC is the convention I
go to in order to PLAY games, drink beer, get inspired for next year,
drink beer, and play games.  I go to Historicon to spend cash.

Damo