Prev: Re: [GZG] QUESTION Re: Walkers in 15mm Next: Re: [GZG] Walkers in 15mm

Re: [GZG] Combat Walkers

From: "Michael R. Blair" <pellinoire@y...>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 01:56:57 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Combat Walkers

I could never really take combat walkers very seriously. The smaller
ones I suppose are basically a heavy version of powered armour but the
bigger ones look like an expensive target - but that is only a personal
opinion so just ignore it. However after dodging it for twenty odd years
I bought the new Battletech starter set (it looks fun) which comes with
some plastic Mechs which I must say look pretty horrible – though with
some TLC and paint they will probably be fine though the ancient box of
plastic robots I bought long, long ago look far better and you can still
get them, possibly from EM4 and Leisure games as I recently bought a few
more from the latter just to see if they were the same ones. They are
not as nice as the GZG ones but better than the few Battletech ones that
I have seen.

I must admit I am on the lookout for some walker legs suitable for
fitting to a 1/48thth scale SdKfz 222 for a Gear Kreig style conversion.
I am not sure that I really approve of weird WW II style games but
something about that conversion appeals to me. The GW Sentinel legs are
rather small for this though I have stretched them in the past with
brass tubing, fitting them to a body made from an old style Rhino hull
section for an AT-ST style walker that worked quite well – then they
updated the Rhino and I cannot get those surprisingly useful hull
sections any more. Bizarrely as I type this I have just remembered that
there is an old kit of a Star Wars AT-ST in the attic somewhere that
might be worth butchering for the legs. I suppose I could make my own
from Plastruct and Evergreen sections and tubing but there is a knack to
making such things look right that I lack.

Michael

Prev: Re: [GZG] QUESTION Re: Walkers in 15mm Next: Re: [GZG] Walkers in 15mm