Prev: Re: [GZG] Walkers in 15mm Next: Re: [GZG] QUESTION Re: Walkers in 15mm

Re: [GZG] Walkers in 15mm

From: Chip Dunning <chip.dunning@g...>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 09:43:56 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Walkers in 15mm

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 8:57 AM, David Lalinde <papecomp@yahoo.es>
wrote:

>> My interest is in the infantry walkers, which I use as
>> super-heavy power
>> armor in Dirtside. I currently use Battletech power armor
>> in 6mm, which
>> comes out to about 4-5 meters. I'm looking for a 15mm
>> equivalent; thanks to
>> the suggestions, I'll take a very close look at heavy
>> gear 25mm.
>>

> The standard general purpose Heavy Gear minis are about 4 cm tall (a
"real" HG is around 6 meters tall, so a bit over 40 mm in N-Scale). So
in 15mm scale they fit pretty well the concept of heavy power armor or
light walker vehicle. In 25mm scale they should work well as standard
power armor (they are a bit bigger than a GW Space Marine).

> The first Heavy Gear minis were HO scale (1/87), but they are quite
rare to find nowadays (although not impossible). The ones I have are the
second batch, which were N Scale (1/144 or 1/160, depending on where you
look, or about 10-12mm), and the current Heavy Gear Blitz minis are, as
far as I know, basically the same scale although the guns look bigger (a
bit more cartoonish).

> Hope this helps to make you decide wether the minis could fit your
ideas.

> Regards,
>
> David

Yes, I was getting back into mini gaming when the first HG HO minis
were coming out. I bought a ton of them. The quality was simply
terrible. I have put together bunches of minis and these sunk below
most of them in terms of details, fit, and finish. However, they were
highly customizable with multitude of legs and weapons - but simply
putting a stock mini together required hours of drilling, filing, and
pinning.

When they switched scales I got sunk, since there were no new HO scale
vehicles coming. That pretty much broke up the group I played with as
some moved to the new N scale and some of us just moved on to other
games. I was one of the ones that shelved the kit and moved on.

Interestingly enough, that is how I first got into Full Thrust and
eventually Stargrunt.

Chip
-----
"The reason the mainstream is considered a stream is because it's so
shallow" --George Carlin

Prev: Re: [GZG] Walkers in 15mm Next: Re: [GZG] QUESTION Re: Walkers in 15mm