Prev: Re: [GZG] Walkers in 15mm Next: Re: [GZG] Walkers in 15mm

Re: [GZG] Walkers in 15mm

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 08:57:09 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Walkers in 15mm

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:08:13PM -0500, Tom B wrote:

>I think there would be a niche to build such a 'rational' heavy walker,
>although I guess there could be arguments for quadrupedal. Octipedal or
>hexipedal seems a bit complex to me (both to model and in terms of the
>mechanics) but is probably a bit more resilient from combat damage
(three
>legs or five legs can work).

It's also easier to "hunker down" with an insectile or arachnoid
leg-plan, i.e. where the legs are basically starting off out to the side
of the body rather than being below it. (In a setting where I was
building near-current-tech walkers, they were essentially tanks with a
profoundly rearranged drivetrain and consequent changes to internal
structure, meant for fighting in urban and recently-urban terrain.) I'm
not claiming this is the best possible system, just that it's one that
could as potentially work as any of the other walker designs, and looks
good.

>I still like the BF2142 look and I have yet to
>see anyone make a miniature like that in 28mm, 25mm or 15mm.

I concur.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Walkers in 15mm Next: Re: [GZG] Walkers in 15mm