Prev: Re: [GZG] If you've been looking for the perfect way to travel throughspace (and perhaps time) Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] GZG at Hammerhead, and updates on other

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] GZG at Hammerhead, and updates on other

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:46:32 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] GZG at Hammerhead, and updates on other

ething for the Yanks to keep in mind: Distance in North America !=
Distance in Britain as travel goes.

I know people who say commuting 20 miles in many parts of England can
take
rather ridiculous amounts of time. The Old World was not so well
designed
for the automobile it seems. And gas prices are nothing short of insane.

I commute 200 km to a game to see my old college/uni friends about 1
month.
I commute down to Pennsylvania (9 hours drive) once or twice a year -
GZG
ECC and sometimes Historicon. I haven't been to a Gen Con since 1987 and
it
is way too far away now. Origins I got to once and enjoyed myself, but
not
half as much as ECC.

I think the smaller shows are actually much more fun and ECC, being so
focused (for a generic series of games...), means you get a nice bunch
of
people with fairly similar interests. Origins was neat for seeing new
games
I'd never see or otherwise own (Fear God and Dreadnaught, FOW, some
crazy
Flying Circus type of WWI plane game, etc). But I have more fun at ECC
than
I ever do at the big cons.

(Has my subtle plug for our next impending ECC helped?)

Our regular disappointment is not having Sr. Tuffley himself. I also
miss
DLD's folks who seem to be kind of in some sort of limbo at this time.
But
we get a lot of support from Jon and a lot of organizational work out of
Jon, Jer, and Mr 'my dice are all 1s'.

I honestly can't imagine another convention that's as much fun as ECC.
Anyone missing it is really missing out.

--
http://ante-aurorum-tenebrae.blogspot.com/
http://www.stargrunt.ca

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine

"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty
quits the horizon." -- Thomas Paine