Prev: Re: [GZG] QUESTION: are SAWs becoming less significant...? Next: Re: [GZG] QUESTION: are SAWs becoming less significant...?

Re: [GZG] QUESTION: are SAWs becoming less significant...?

From: Binhan Lin <binhan.lin@g...>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 07:52:56 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] QUESTION: are SAWs becoming less significant...?

ually a SAW doesn't have to use different ammunition to provide
increased
firepower. By simply increasing barrel length you derive more energy per
round (increase efficiency) without having to change the round at all.
In
addition, by increasing barrel length, you increase accuracy. Therefore,
by
simply making an AR with with a heavier, longer barrel you can create a
SAW
type weapon without having to increase the round size. This does create
heavier weapon, but not because the ammo is larger or heavier.
With this in mind it appears that a SAW will continue to provide a major
base of firepower for the squad for several key reasons - increased rate
of
fire, increased penetration, increased accuracy and increased range over
assault rifles.

By its nature, the SAW will be a heavier more substantial weapon than an
AR
- this increases stability when grounded, thus increasing accuracy over
weapon held by hand.

Sustained ROF will be critical as an area denial capability - an AR that
fires 600 RPM will drain a 30 round mag in 3 seconds, it then takes
several
seconds to reload meaning that there are large gaps in firing coverage -
whereas a SAW with 100 or 200 round belt or magazine could sustain 10-20
seconds of fire, along with a heavier barrel would also be able to
maintain
such rates over longer periods of time. Thus a single SAW provides the
firepower equivalent of 3-5 regular AR's.

I think that as individual AR technology improves, the SAW will also
improve
proportionately and remain a mainstay for assaults and defense.

--Binhan