Prev: Re: [GZG] [ot] need help of UK natives Next: [GZG] Subject: Re: [ot] need help of UK natives

Re: [GZG] [ot] need help of UK natives

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:02:24 +1100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [ot] need help of UK natives

I'm not surprised you were peeved. Sadly, I notice that Kryptonite's
web-site (http://www.kryptonitelock.com/OurStory/History.aspx)
*still* makes the claim that:

"During the fall of 2004, it was discovered that the industry-
standard tubular cylinder, used in most brands of portable security
products, could be compromised, at times, with a household item."

when the vulnerability was in fact first made public in a UK cycling
magazine in 1992, and presumably "discovered" well before that.
Kryptonite's management has always maintained that *their company*
did not *become aware* of the problem until 2004, but that's not
quite the same thing.

Corporate spin leaves a nasty taste in my mouth, but all one can do
is refrain from buying their stuff.

Best regards, Robert Bryett