Prev: Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives' Next: [GZG] Traveller Battle Dress

Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

From: "Evyn MacDude" <infojunky@c...>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:27:27 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:02, John Atkinson
<johnmatkinson@gmail.com>wrote:

> 1) No human being can accurately fire small arms while moving at
> 100kph, the top speed of a Classic Traveller Grav Belt.

Really depends on the weapon and associated gear. From the shoulder I
can
see your point, from a stabilized mount ala Aliens not such an issue.
This
is really technical issue, not a hard and fast rule....

2) Running into trees and hills at 100kph is more or less fatal, hence
> the practical requirement to move higher if you are moving faster.

Yes and no, you obviously have never ridden a motor bike through the
woods.
100kph is not really that fast.  Speed really should controlled by troop
quality instead of fiat. Though I would generally give lift equipped
infantry scout movement.

> 3) Any fire control system on a military vehicle from a technological
> base capable of providing grav belts can hit a target moving at 100kph
> with ease.

Well, yes, but this goes for all infantry, why you are making it special
case is beyond me.

So you are limited by practicality to considerably lower speeds, in
> 'hops' whose length is determined by user's assessment of the threat
> of being shot like a clay pigeon and the speed of which is governed by
> a burning desire NOT to slam into the ground moving fast enough to
> break your legs.

Yep, where's the problem?

--
Evyn