Prev: Re: [GZG] 15mm Vehicles: What are they made of? Next: Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:02:03 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Kenneth Coble <kmcoble@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ahh, good point!  It has been a long time since I looked over any of
my Trav
> stuff, and I do think you're remembering the terminology correctly and
I've
> got it scrambled.  But am I remembering correctly that in at least one
> iteration of Trav (possibly GURPS Trav?) there were mentions made of
> high-tech Imperial forces utilizing grav belts with really, really
long
> loiter times?  If not, that might change my setup for the 'hightech'
grav
> rules, as that was my main 'data point' for that section of the rules.

Drop Troops like Imperial Marines had grav belts capable of keeping
them aloft indefinitely until the batteries wore out.

Here are the catches:

1) No human being can accurately fire small arms while moving at
100kph, the top speed of a Classic Traveller Grav Belt.

2) Running into trees and hills at 100kph is more or less fatal, hence
the practical requirement to move higher if you are moving faster.

3) Any fire control system on a military vehicle from a technological
base capable of providing grav belts can hit a target moving at 100kph
with ease.

So you are limited by practicality to considerably lower speeds, in
'hops' whose length is determined by user's assessment of the threat
of being shot like a clay pigeon and the speed of which is governed by
a burning desire NOT to slam into the ground moving fast enough to
break your legs.

The weight of the system is more or less nullified by leaving it on at
a low enough setting to cancel out its own weight.

John
--Vita Aureliani