Prev: Re: [GZG] Question: small-arms tech and troop quality.... Next: Re: [GZG] Question: small-arms tech and troop quality....

Re: [GZG] More Re: Question: small-arms tech and troop quality....

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 19:59:07 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] More Re: Question: small-arms tech and troop quality....

Ground Zero Games wrote:
> "ALL I am talking about is raw weight of firepower in terms of bullets
or energy pulses being sent downrange with a reasonable chance of
[hitting] something when they arrive, with all other factors being equal
for now. "

> Though even that's not strictly right, as it's more a case of
"AFFECTING" the target, whether that means physically hitting or just
putting down enough near misses to suppress them.

Dunno if this will help much, Jon, but there is a "theorm" (that's what
it's called, but buggered if I can remember the name or where I saw it)
which states that a single soldier, otherwise identical to an enemy save

that he has twice the firepower, is not worth twice as much as his foe,
but only SQRT(2), or 1.414... times as much because he is equally
vulnerable to being hit/"affected" when under fire. That might be a
start for part of what you're trying to establish. Of course, you'd then

have to factor in improved defences as well according to the technology
involved and the PSB on which it operates, much as other posters have
said -- and, inevitably, training, which seems to be the most decisive
factor according to people like John, who presumably ought to know about

that sort of thing. I ain't gonna argue the point with them.

Phil