Prev: Re: [GZG] Interesting mercenary idea Next: Re: [GZG] Eating Crow Now

Re: [GZG] UNSC Workings

From: Damo <damosan@g...>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:44:24 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] UNSC Workings

On Dec 11, 2008, at 3:54 PM, emu2020@comcast.net wrote:

> Renaming the topic to raise a new one based off the original. Has
> there ever been any serious thought into what the UNSC is and how
> it operates? I know some of the thread on the PMCs touched on this,
> but from what I have seen the UNSC obviously has some resources or
> backing.
>
> 1) They have equipment beyond the tech of other nations

How would member nations handle the UN doing advanced weapons
research today?  To me this is the interesting thing -- how did a non-
governmental organization gather the funds to build a fleet of
advanced vessels?  How come the member nations aren't getting a cut
of this tech?

> 2) They have their own ship and equipment designs and so are not
> getting equipment from member states.

That's kind of a leap.	One can say the UNSC has their own fleet but
can we say anything about numbers?  In the fleet books we get an idea
of how many ships each Earth bound empire owns.  As an aside it's
interesting to go through the FB1 and put the number of each class in
a spreadsheet -- it really shows what each nation thought was
important.  Anyway...

Does the UNSC have it's own ground forces?  Or are they futuristic
blue-helmets from the member states?

> 3) Where does all this come from?

Membership dues which come and go.  Perhaps the UNSC is the largest
PMC around and they'll send "peace keepers" if you send them the
cash.  I see them gaining income by renting out their fleet assets.
And then you have the various "taxes" and/or fines they levy against
member nations for having bad prisons at outpost XYZ ... perhaps you
can't fly the known interstellar space lanes without paying a USNC tax?

Perhaps the future UNSC sponsors the ever popular "Captain Commando"
cartoon?

It's the far future -- let the mind wander.

> 4) If they have their own space, own resources, own production,
> then how is it that they are "neutral" in their dealings with other
> nations?

Because their "charter" makes them neutral.  :)

Damo

Prev: Re: [GZG] Interesting mercenary idea Next: Re: [GZG] Eating Crow Now