Prev: [GZG] META UN was Interesting mercenary idea Next: Re: [GZG] Thrusters

Re: [GZG] A new vector movement system

From: "Richard Bell" <rlbell.nsuid@g...>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:53:50 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] A new vector movement system

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 7:28 AM, Ken Hall <khall39@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am in general agreement with Robert. Seems to me that it's more
> parsimonious to "flip the ship" using thrusters and use the main drive
> change the movement vector. Even naval architects working with naval
> construction budgets have to save mass where possible, or else we
could just
> take Doc Smith to the logical limit and drive our planets around the
galaxy.
> ;-)
>
> The shiphandling requirements would be trivial, but would also give
officers
> something to grade junior officers on beyond spit and polish.
>
> Best,
> Ken

Retro-thrusters that would work with some tweaking:

Main thrust is produced by reaction drives with a balanced ring of
thrusters with some freedom of movement, at the extreme rear of the
vessel.  One of the mobility restrictions is the nozzles can be
pointed no further than 120 degrees from dead astern, to prevent
thrust efflux from impinging on the hull.  The angular limit was a
compromise between safety, providing the maximum feasible
retro-thrust, and ship handling characteristics.  A long, spindly ship
could rotate the nozzles even further, but would be hard to pivot and
harder to protect against incoming weapons fire.  Even at the small
forward angle of 30 degrees ahead of the beam, the main engines,
running at full, would be able to apply a reverse thrust that is 50% (
cosine 60 degrees) of the forward thrust.  Other purposes of the
thruster mobility are rebalancing the thrust ring following damage,
high-rate pivotting, and adjustments of the hyperspace insertion
vector during acceleration to insertion velocity.

Game effects:  No thruster pushes.  Pivotting takes away thrust
available to change velocity.  Each point of retrothrust costs double
against total thrust points.

Sigh-- If my ability to write a story was even the equal of my ability
to spew technobabble, I would write more of them.

Prev: [GZG] META UN was Interesting mercenary idea Next: Re: [GZG] Thrusters