Prev: Re: [GZG] Interesting mercenary idea Next: Re: [GZG] Interesting mercenary idea

Re: [GZG] Ixx Psychology & behaviour?

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 08:12:19 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Ixx Psychology & behaviour?

y, I know we're all having good fun with speculations on the Ixx, but
I've got some semi-real world based thoughts to set some parameters
about.

If the Ixx have these huge hive ships, how large are we speculating them
be? Size of one of our largest asteroids (~500 miles), size of the Moon,
size of a dwarf planet, size of a terrestrial planet, or...?  Given a
size,
it is going to put out heat from the energies generated within. While
some
of that can be PSB'd into being being fed into the drives that propel
this
hive/world ship through space (FTL or sublight), there's still going to
be
detectable heat generated (unless you want to PSB some sort of mascing
or
shielding, but nothing is perfect in every spectrum; it'll be detectable
somehow)

Earth, present day. Technology marches on. 18 years ago we made our
first
actual detection of an extrasolar planet around a main sequence star. In
the
past 18 years we have now detected over 300 of these things, and recent
evidence suggests that we have hit the cusp of actually *imaging*
planets
around other stars (see also the recent Hubble images of a planet around
Fomalhaut: http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2008/39/).

All this in 18 years. Pretty damned impressive, if you ask me.

So, given that we'd probably run into the Ixx in the FTVerse after the
2190s
(probably after 2194, Siege of Sol), the technologies that astronomy
science
will have developed by this point, accelerated by the need to detect
enemy/alien (i.e., K'V) *fleets* at some incredible distances, would
mean
that there will be some subset of astronomers who are maintaining sky
surveys, very likely cooperative sky surveys between different solar
systems
(really nailing down parallax and distances to things, though these
measurements would take months or more, not done overnight). This would
then
lend credence to the fact that we would be able to detect these
hive/world
ships at some level. These may never enter a main human system, but we
should be able to track them at the very least. And being able to track
them....well, I'll let you take it from here.

Mk