Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: troop-carrying VTOLs....? Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: troop-carrying VTOLs....?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: troop-carrying VTOLs....?

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 13:02:36 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: troop-carrying VTOLs....?

At 7:54 AM +0000 11/25/08, Ground Zero Games wrote:
>Quick question to the list hive-mind......
>
>I'm going to be doing a troop-carrying version of the Mantis VTOL (in
>15mm), in response to many requests, but I'm torn between two basic
>design ideas"
>
>1) keep the Mantis cockpit off the Gunship, and have a troop "pod"
>behind it (a box that is either a fixed part of the main fuselage or
>could be demountable/deployable?)  so that there is no direct access
>between troop bay and cockpit, or...

I would suggest that you use components from the mantis to represent the
troop carrying version. Tail engine pods, landing gear components,
cockpit, etc and make the pod for the dismounts/cargo to be more
integral with the rear section vice an 'attached' pod.

BAsed on what's gone forwards so far for aircraft, podded segments are
VERY unusual. Perhaps the strength leaves something to be desired. But
cargo versions of attack helicopters generally have entirely separate
airframes with common components (not really a help for your purposes I
know).
-		  Data Center Operations Group		       -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		     One CNN Center SE0813 E   -
- Internet Technologies   --	     Data Center Operations    -
- Hours 9:30am - 5:30pm Mon - Fri     (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)    -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	   ( Suwanee and Manassas DCs) -
- Office: 404-588-6191		    e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com  -