Prev: Re: [GZG] Toying with UNSC ships (sendout #2) Next: Re: [GZG] Toying with UNSC ships (sendout #2)

Re: [GZG] Toying with UNSC ships (sendout #2)

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:56:57 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Toying with UNSC ships (sendout #2)

me Tiampo wrote:
>> Some interesting ideas! For the wing-ring (!) I'd be more inclined to
look for a piece of plastic piping of a suitable diameter and wall
thickness that you could cut a thin slice from, so that the curve is
already accurately formed. I'm sure there are some types of rigid pipe
for plumbing use that are made in ABS or a similar glueable plastic?

> I had the same thought before I started but I couldn't find anything
that was only 1mm thickish.

> The diameter is about 2" and I think for the right look it should be
1-2mm thick. Might be able to use a slice out of a small yogurt
container. I'll double check with one of mine.

You could try something like model rocket tubing. I know at least one
manufacturer makes what it describes as "2.1" diameter tube", though
they tend to quote internal diameter rather than external; the ID is 54
mm, BTW. It might be a little large for your purposes, and you do have
to buy it in 3-foot lengths... How many of those are you planning to
make? :-D

Might be worth a try. I have plans to get some nominally 1.1" tube as
the basis for a mini of INSS /Lenin/, but I have to find or work out
something to use on the ends... :-\

Phil

Prev: Re: [GZG] Toying with UNSC ships (sendout #2) Next: Re: [GZG] Toying with UNSC ships (sendout #2)