Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Weights and measures was: Hypothetical weapon question

Re: [GZG] gross counting was weights

From: "K.H.Ranitzsch" <kh.ranitzsch@t...>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:00:43 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] gross counting was weights

Ryan Gill schrieb:
> At 1:21 PM -0400 10/28/08, Tom B wrote:
>

> And you can count to 144 (a gross) with your two hands an nothing else
to mark on. Grocers bought things in units of a gross or more and sold
them individually or in smaller sets (dozens).

How do you do that ?
Is that the limit of the counting method or could you go higher ?

I can count up to 1023 (2**10-1)using both hands by using the fingers as

binary digits, and I have seen people count to 10 on one hand - count
from 1 to 5 normally (I.... is 1, IIIII is 5) and then go on bending
fingers in reverse order ( .IIII is 6, ..III is 7 etc.)-

But I never heard of counting specifically to 144.

Greetings
Karl Heinz