Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:53:46 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

At 2:11 PM -0500 10/28/08, Bill Brush wrote:
>As a minor threadjack, anyone have any opinions on the practicality of
>shooting a boat below the waterline at range?	The figure bandied
>about was 2 ft (roughly 60 cm for the metric people).	Based on the
>Mythbusters tests we were of the opinion that high velocity rifles
>wouldn't be effective but shotgun slugs might be providing you don't
>try to go too far below the waterline and from too far away.  Any
>naval weapon capable of this short of a torpedo or a battleship class
>gun?

An M2 50 Caliber would be ideal. You have automatic fire for walking
rounds onto the target and enough power to hole both sides of the hull
below the water line OR make one hole and crack the block of the engine.
That's just using ball OR AP rounds. Combine in some Tracer and API and
you get nice flames too.

That'll work on anything from a Go-fast boat to a destroyer if you catch
the destroyer's crew napping. (Look at how the British Royal Marines led
by Fairly Famous Mills worked over the Argie Frigate Guerrico at South
Georgia Island).

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Falklands/South-Georgia.html

-		  Data Center Operations Group		       -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		     One CNN Center SE0813 E   -
- Internet Technologies   --	     Data Center Operations    -
- Hours 9:30am - 5:30pm Mon - Fri     (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)    -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	   ( Suwanee and Manassas DCs) -
- Office: 404-588-6191		    e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com  -

Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question