Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

From: "McCarthy, Tom (xwave)" <Tom.McCarthy@x...>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:29:54 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

If memory serves, Canada went metric around 1976 (silver jubilee?), and
that would put TomB in about grade 2 at that time.  So while his formal
schooling would have emphasized the metric system, his parents (and even
peers just a few years older than him (I'm looking at you, Jimbo)) would
be conversant primarily with Imperial units, and so there's good
exposure to both.

Most Canadians my age / TomB's age can easily convert common linear
measures, volumes, temperatures and weights on the fly (3m = 10', 4 L ~
1 US gallon, 331 ml beer is called a pint, *9/5+32, 0.9 kg ~ 2 lbs).

That said, I was tripped up at Thanksgiving (which is recently past in
Canada) on the conversion from litres to gallons ... I knew the US
gallons number, but not the other.