Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:41:33 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:

>> A fiberglass hull may or may not detonate the pizeoelectric fuze.
>
> [Tomb] It may also bounce and rpg if it doesn't detonate. Those hulls
are
> tougher than most folks think. You'd need a heck of a lot of energy
applied
> at a pretty orthogonal angle to punch through with a dud of several
inches
> diameter. Get it off angle and it'll reflect off it does not detonate.

They are moving reasonably fast.  They might simply stick into the
hull and wouldn't that be fun for the EOD tech?

>> Not to mention the possibility of killing crewmen.
>
> [Tomb] That fit under my definition of challenging sailing. :0)

Without a necromancer on board.

>> Don't go sailing around the Horn of Africa without an anti-piracy
PLAN
> that is more than "hope they don't board my boat".
>
> [Tomb] Honestly, sailing around some of those regions (Gulf of Aden,
Panama,
> Asia Pacific Rim, etc) in a small but valuable keelboat or catamaran
is
> basically throwing the dice. There's no way, even if there are 4 - 6
of you
> aboard and  you do have firearms that you can reasonably stand off
launches
> with support weapons and RPGs. So, I can't really think of a "plan"
that's
> going to change that reality. You can mitigate risk of being noticed
and
> targeted, you can take some steps to offer limited defense portside or
at
> anchor or underway, but ultimately, you aren't in the kind of vessel
and
> don't have the kind of armaments to effectively resist. My answer is
'don't
> go there'.

Personally, yeah, I don't see a reasonable plan that doesn't involve
naval escort.  At a certain point in your planning process you pretty
much have to say, "This is a bad idea.	Let's sail the Aegean
instead."

John

--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question