Prev: Re: [GZG] [CON] Support GZG ECC with a 2009 Calender from Lulu Next: [GZG] A comment on figure sizing

Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 14:56:55 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?

e,

I hate to mix 25mm and 28mm, even older Future Wars which are somewhat
less
than 28mm today and more than GZG 25mm.

With FT ships, this is okay. The ship model scale is *sooo* out of scale
the ground scale, you can just tell yourself 'all I'm seeing is a
tactical
table view anyway'. In that case, blips would be exaggerated in size and
perhaps not even in scale to one another.

OTOH, in 25mm skirmish, if you're playing WYSIWYG for cover and such,
the
difference between a 28-30mm and a true 25mm is significant both
visually
*and* in game impact (you can't hide behind the same cover!). More
generally, it is unaesthetic to have figures that are close to WYSIWYG
with
the vehicles and then have some other outscale figure ruin the
aesthetic. If
you spend a lot of time selecting, scratchbuilding, painting vehicles
and
figures, then you want the aesthetic side to work too.

When your figures disproportionate, it just doesn't look good for games
where you image what you are seeing is the actual thing, not an abstract
electronic representation. That's why it doesn't work for me in 25mm
SG/FMAS
but doesn't bother me much in FT.

(As for proportion changes - take some of the wimpiest Old NAC 25mm figs
and
some of the newer 'heftier' New NAC 25mm figures - height might have
stayed
the same, but bulk didn't... I forgive this one as some of the original
NAC
are prone to leg breakage if they get subjected to an accidental
standing
upon... the new ones not so much....)

When I asked Mike Broadbent to sculpt the original Gurkha figs for the
GZGverse, I made the point that nepalese were often smaller (height
wise).
You can actually see that if you put the figures up next to most other
GZG
lines. It is subtle, but I enjoyed that little detail.

TomB
--
"Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It is a
terrible

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead."  --  Thomas Paine

   Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] [CON] Support GZG ECC with a 2009 Calender from Lulu Next: [GZG] A comment on figure sizing