Prev: Re: [GZG] Robot Inspiration Next: Re: [GZG] Drybrushing

Re: [GZG] Unmanned tracked combat vehicle

From: "K.H.Ranitzsch" <kh.ranitzsch@t...>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 07:15:46 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Unmanned tracked combat vehicle

Chris Slavensky schrieb:
>      > Looks like they're still testing. the weak points aren't the
>     vehicles, but the fact that the command point has a wireless link.
>     As long as the transmission and crypto are secure you're good, as
>     soon as that goes down, you have a problem. The bigger issue is
that
>     your command post, even if mobile, is still an emitter.
>      >
>      > Some independent operational functions by the UCTV would be
useful.
>      >

>     That was my thought also, but AFAIK it hasn't been a real issue
with
>     the Predator drones.  Or has it?
>
>     Bill
>

> Not really had many issues yet because we use them against combatants
> well below our tech level. Many times they are used for snooping so
they
> are not active against anyone looking to jam them up or cut
communications.
> --
> Chris Slavensky

Also, if the link is via direct radio communication between CP and
robot, it's easier to maintain it with an airborne drone than with a
vehicle mucking around in terrain clutter. Satellite up/downlinks or
other indirect communications may solve this issue, but may have other
problems.

Plus, AFAIK, airborne drones have a backup program that is designed to
bring them home when the link fails. rather more difficult on the ground

than in the air.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: [GZG] Robot Inspiration Next: Re: [GZG] Drybrushing