Prev: Re: [GZG] Question: What's in a name - WYSIWYG or not? Next: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Some more teasers of upcoming 15mm and FT....

[GZG] Gurkhas get to stay in the UK + bonus Pirates!

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 08:52:09 -0400
Subject: [GZG] Gurkhas get to stay in the UK + bonus Pirates!

t an interesting news piece I happened across:

http://news.scotsman.com/uk/Gurkhas-win-battle-to-stay.4544386.jp

I roomed with an older lady when I was in my final year of high school
(parents had moved) and her husband (deceased) had been a British
officer
who had led Gurkhas (and the assigned bodygaurd of King Farouk of Egypt
too). She always said he thought they were fantastic troops but that
they
had to be handled with discretion because officers who made them annoyed
tended to not last (in the very literal sense) very long.

I also remember one of my best buddies from university saying his Navy
team
shot against a team of Gurkhas at CF SAC (Canadian Forces Small Arms
Competition). They timed the other teams as a matter of course. One of
the
Gurkhas did a 100m rundown for a shoot, in webgear in combat boots with
rifle, in just under 12 seconds. During the ensuing 2 km squad run at
the
end with full gear, most teams staggered through around the 16-18 minute
mark pretty tired. The Gurkha team crossed in 14 minutes... laughing. At
the
part afterwards, one of them was doing standing backflips. Now, these
were
probably the best of a fairly select lot, but definitely not your
average
troopers...

Oh, and as a bonus for scenario fodder:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601116&sid=aLdKkAspo_EA&refer=a
frica
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/699351d8-8ec5-11dd-946c-0000779fd18c.html

Kind of reminds me of stories of the Barbary Pirates before they got
their
hash settled for them by annoying the wrong people. There has to be some
FT
and SG/FMAS scenarios in this kind of stuff.

TomB
--
"Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It is a
terrible

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead."  --  Thomas Paine

   Thomas Paine