Prev: [GZG] Pirates Next: Re: [GZG] Question for the painting gurus...

Re: [GZG] Can Haz Full Thrust Game Server?

From: Ernest Prabhakar <ernest.prabhakar@g...>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:15:45 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] Can Haz Full Thrust Game Server?

Hi Jon & Sam,

On Sep 19, 2008, at 3:46 AM, Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Thu, September 18, 2008 22:23, Ernest Prabhakar wrote:
>> Hi Jon,

>>> Provided this is not for any kind of commercial purpose, I don't
>>> have
>>> a problem with it as long as all relevant copyrights and credits are
>>> quoted.
>>>
>>> Jon (GZG)
>>
>> Awesome! Yes, it would be strictly non-commercial, probably under
>> open
>> source and open content licenses.
>
> Technically, if it has a non-commercial restriction then it can't be
> open source.

Ah, good point. I should have been more explicit.

Jon, are you requesting:

a) that *I* make sure my efforts are non-commercial?

OR

b) that anything we develop can *only* be used in a non-commercial
manner?

More specifically, are you comfortable with us releasing the source
code under (say) a BSD open source license, as long as the server *we*
host isn't commercial? For example, we could place a prominent notice
on our website that this server is run with the explicit permission of
GZG, and not for commercial usage [without restricting the source code
itself].

Or, do you want us to place the source code itself under a non-
commercial license (CC-NC), so that it isn't legally permissible to
use in any commercial products?

(or perhaps under the GPL, so it is at least difficult to
commercialize)?

I'd be happy to call you on the phone to discuss this, to make sure we
have the appropriate protections in place

Thanks!

-- Ernie P.