Prev: Re: [GZG] Working with Balsa Next: Re: [GZG] Working with Balsa

Re: [GZG] Working with Balsa

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 08:55:08 +1000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Working with Balsa

The traditional material is "sanding sealer", usually a clear
nitrocellulose varnish-like coating that serves two purposes: 1) To
fill the grain. 2) To raise the "nap" of the wood surface and make it
brittle and easy to sand smoothly without tearing.

You should be able to get it at any DIY/handyman/woodworking shop,
although you might need to buy a litre or so. I used to be able to
get it from model-shops in small tins back when I used to build balsa
and tissue model aircraft, but I haven't been in one for years so I
don't know what's available now.

However you only *really* need to use sanding sealer if you're going
to apply a clear finish, which is unlikely if you're building model
spacecraft. Assuming you're going to paint, any white acrylic
undercoat will do. Apply a coat (no need for a spray, any brush or
roller will do), let it dry *thoroughly*, and sand until the
undercoat is only left in the grain. Repeat until the desired finish
is achieved, and then apply a final coat and sand *lightly*.

If you are making your parts from flat sheets of balsa, you might
want to consider doing your grain-filling and sanding on the entire
sheet, *before* you cut out your parts. Consider also undercoating
and sanding parts of the ship before assembly.

Best regards, Robert Bryett