Prev: Re: [GZG] Working with Balsa Next: Re: [GZG] Working with Balsa

Re: [GZG] Working with Balsa

From: emu2020@c...
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 21:20:41 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Working with Balsa

ling the basic structure might work well, in fact. The basic shapes are
mostly geometric. I use balsa because it is also easy to pin details to
the wood by simply sticking them in with a bit of glue. a sealing coat
should make this impossible. I would have to be careful about the glues
I used to glue surface details on, however.

-Eli

From: "Star Ranger" <dean@star-ranger.com>

> > I am reaching out to the group for some help with using balsa some
> > custom ships I'm doing. I am having a problem in the finishing
> > because invariably there is a wood grain that shows through the
> > paint. Is there a way to effectively seal the finish model that
> > will allow me to give my completed models a smooth finish. I am
> > trying to avoid switching to plastic card and such as I find it
> > difficult to work with and less versatile than balsa, not to
> > mention more expensive.
>
> I've used Sanding Sealer in the past for model rockets. You brush it
on,
> let it dry and sand it smooth and it might take 2-3 coats for a very
smooth
> finish. This may be a problem if your ships have areas that are hard
> sand.
>
> Here is the one I have seen on shelves locally:
> http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mid/mid71-1.htm
>
> Something you could do is basic hull out of balsa, sealed and sanded,
and
> then details out of heavy cardstock (thin cardboard like a cereal box)
or