Prev: Re: [GZG] Working with Balsa Next: Re: [GZG] Working with Balsa

Re: [GZG] Working with Balsa

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 21:03:47 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Working with Balsa

> Thanks for the info. Whatever I use, it needs to be something I can
> spray on after the construction.
That could be a problem. It's been decades since I worked much with
balsa, but I don't remember sealant being available in spray form. It
may well be now, but spray "paint" tends to be thin, whereas you're
looking to fill the grain, which either needs something thicker (and
thus requires brush application) or is going to take a /lot/ of coats to

get a properly smooth finish, possibly requiring sanding down between
each coat to avoid altering the shape of the model. I'll happily be
proven wrong, but those are my recollections from messing about with
balsa (for model rocketry) once upon a time.

Phil

Prev: Re: [GZG] Working with Balsa Next: Re: [GZG] Working with Balsa