Prev: Re: [GZG] Question for the painting gurus... Next: Re: [GZG] Question for the painting gurus...

Re: [GZG] Question for the painting gurus...

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 19:44:59 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Question for the painting gurus...

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> 3. I'll post the easy-bake method sometime soon on stargrunt.ca. I do
> have a few questions:
> any impact on paint lifespan?
> any impact on paint colour?
> any info on how different paint types behave - oil based, water based,
> enamels, any inks or clearcoats?

I remember doing this many years ago, having read an article about it
in Wargamer's Digest (for those of you who remember that mag). It
worked well with Tamiya acrylics, for a fact. I haven't tried it with
any other acrylics. I do remember having a couple of miniatures that
melted, even at the temperature the other miniatures survived. I don't
know why those miniatures melted. It might be an idea to add a
disclaimer suggesting that the painter take a piece of flash or an
"expendable" figure and test it in the oven first.

> 4. I'd love to help out Mike by making a 'how to drybrush video' or
> picture series.

By the by, at GenCon Indy this year and one of the big miniatures
companies ran a series of painting technique tutorials on a TV screen
in their booth.

> 6. GW does a book on making wargames terrain - it covers some painting
> topics and is a great way to make either fancy terrain or simpler,
> cheaper stuff.

I held off buying this book for a while, due to its price. In the end
I broke down. I'm glad I did. I second Tom; regardless of what you
think of their rules, GW has high standards for the look of their
products. They've never skimped on their terrain.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcIYkCz-Dco&feature=related
> Excellent technique video for drybrushing\

Definitely!

Speaking earlier about GenCon, it was interesting to see the number of
"big name" miniatures games at GenCon. I saw very, very few companies
selling historicals, and there were few "generic" miniatures
companies. However, a couple of big names have been nibbling away at
GW. Mutant Chronicles is back, Confrontation looked interesting, as
did AT-43 and a couple of others.

I was too busy running RPGs to spend much time in the miniatures area.
I did traipse through the miniatures sections a few times. I talked
for a while with someone running a DS2 game. He was using Litko's
flame and smoke markers, which looked pretty good. He also mentioned a
rumour that the company that publishes Blitzkrieg Commander will soon
have a science fiction game out.

Allan

--
Allan Goodall http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] Question for the painting gurus... Next: Re: [GZG] Question for the painting gurus...