Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] FT New Fleet SSD resource now available! Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] FT New Fleet SSD resource now available!

[GZG] Question for the painting gurus...

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 12:03:13 -0400
Subject: [GZG] Question for the painting gurus...

Mike,

Painting ships (like painting camouflage on 25mm infantry) can take
some time, depending on the detail level you wish to achieve and the
effects you wish to create.

Drybrushing:

1) The brush has to be almost absent of paint. It is a slow process of
depositing very small amounts of paint and brushing again and again
until you reach the level you want.
2) It is hard on brushes, I still like a good brush to paint with
however. <shrug>
3) For many drybrushing uses, I prefer the flat brushes vs. the round
ones (I'm talking about bristle layout). They make drybrushing edges
easier. And the bigger the model, the bigger the drybrush you should
be using. For ships edges/raised features, in many instances I'd be
using a flat brush about 15-18mm across.

Unrelated Painting Tip:

4) If you ever get to ECC, a must have session is one with Rick
Rutherford or Stuart Murray on Painting (typically on the Saturday).
That's where I learned to drybrush and to use matte medium mixed in
with paint to shade figures. I can now paint a good D&D golem in
rapid-fast time thanks to some of their tips. And my last Water
Elemental was amazing.

--
"Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It is a
terrible responsibility but I have learned to live with it."

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

 Thomas Paine