Prev: Re: [GZG] Changing topics again (FoW) Was: Re: FT Light: 5 is the new 6? Next: Re: [GZG] FoW, Shows and Aimless Gamers

Re: [GZG] Troop potential

From: Xander Mathews <xandermathews@y...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:22:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Troop potential

> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:12:09 -0400
> From: "Robert Mayberry"
> Subject: Re: [GZG] Troop potential

> Actually, engineering attitudes is precisely what I'm
> talking about. Or at least 3/4ths of it.
> Heightened alertness.
> Less disfunction under stress.
> Reduced reaction to fatigue.
> More aggressiveness.

> Probably some kind of social adaptation to improve
> teamwork (though, along with increased creativity
> and intelligence, you'd likely see most people
> already have those adaptations).

John Ringo toys with both paths in his 'Council Wars' series;
I believe his light-side path explicitly disagreed at the "More aggro"
point, as the uplifted chimps were wired to be dead calm in the most
chaotic battle.

(And re: integrating with society, after the war to end all wars, the
chimps and humans agreed that even "neighboring countries" wouldn't
work, so the chimps build a off-earth xanadu)

The series' opinion on slave bureaucracies is "and then the toasters and
tivos unanimously rebelled, excluding a statistically nonexistent
handful of loyalist AIs."

I'm doubtful you can call it 'an AI' if it _can't_ get around any "3
laws" instincts as a four year old rationalizing the cookie jar, much
less 'a combat AI'
(Of course, I might be biased as being from a species whose fear of
falling is so thorough that we take the plane up just so we can jump out
of them.)

Ringo's third example disagrees on loyalty, but possibly only under the
condition that the result is also
a: too dumb to run from a train at a 90 degree angle.
b: containing what _should_ have been a crippling security
   hole, like you mentioned.
   (but Ringo's good guys have never thought of donning a
   captured officer poncho, covered in runes of
   "I haz authority, dumb orc grovel now!")